Permed hair is not just a hairstyle, it’s an emotion in itself, and it is loved by various generations. If history is to be believed, permed hair has existed since the 1870s and has become a fashion symbol amongst everyone who loves curls. If you’re keen to know about permed hair or to buy the best hair products for permed hair women, this article is for you.
So, let’s first understand what perms or permed hair are and how it is different from curls. Ideally, curls are natural, and they grow in a circular or round shape. Perms, on the contrary, is a hairstyling method used to transform and give curls or waves to any type of hair using chemicals.
Moreover, some stylists also heat the hair using curling rods or rollers to change the structure of hair follicles. Namely, these perming processes are called a cold and digital perm, respectively, and chemicals are used in both of them.
Since the process to get perms uses heat and chemicals, it is common to be dubious whether you should get perms or not. The simple answer to this lies in the answers to the following questions;
- Is your hair healthy?
- Are you willing to commit to following a rigorous hair care routine?
- Are you okay with applying chemicals to your hair?
- Your hair is natural, and you never got it highlighted or colored?
You might get permed hair if you answered yes to all these questions.
So, as you have decided you’ll get permed hair, keep reading to find out how to maintain permed hair?
Honestly, maintaining perms could seem daunting at first, but trust me on this, it is nothing compared to maintaining natural curls. Undoubtedly, like curls, Permed hair also needs some special treatment to maintain its shape and stay intact.
How to Style Permed Hair
If you have had straight hair for a significant part of your life, styling permed hair can be challenging. But, you can chill and keep reading to find out more about tips to style permed hair and the best-permed hair styling products.
- First and foremost, throw away your hairbrush if you’re gonna keep your perms. As per our experts, a hairbrush can damage curls, and you’ll lose your permed hair.
- You gotta be gentle and nice with your permed hair, or they’ll start breaking.
- Start using hair styling and hair care products to keep permed hair healthy.
- Use hairdryers and rollers to style permed hair with perfection.
1. Ogilvie Salon Styles Professional Perm for Color Treated, Thin or Delicate Hair
Ogilvie Salon Styles Professional Perm for Color Treated, Thin or Delicate Hair is a must-have perm styling product that strengthens hair. The Ogilvie Salon Styles Professional Perm helps condition and smoothen dry, thin, and delicate hair. The product is highly effective, and it ensures your curls and waves last longer than usual.
2. 36 Pieces Cold Wave Rod Perming Hair Roller
The 36 Pieces Cold Wave Rod Perming Hair Roller works on wavy, dry, curly hair to transform your perms into their finest looks. The roller is straightforward to use, and you don’t have to be an expert in using it. Moreover, the curls or waves created using the roller look natural and highly appealing.
3. Maui Moisture Flexible Hold Coconut Milk Curl Foam Mousse for Curly Hair
The Flexible Hold + Coconut Milk Curl Foam Mousse from Maui Moisture is a well-known hair care product used by countless expert stylists. The mousse is hair-friendly and lacks harmful ingredients like parabens, silicone, and alcohol. Moreover, regular mousse application increases hair volume by manifolds and makes hair smooth.
4. INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR Natural Texture Styling Hair Dryer Waves
The INFINITIPRO BY CONAIR 1875 Watt Texture Styling Hair Dryer is a heavy-duty multi-functional beast. The dryer can help you do textured styling, free curls from frizz.
Moreover, its powerful ceramic technology makes hair dry faster and reduces overall damage as well. And, what makes it stand out is that it allows you to choose from three heat and two-speed variations.
5. Oribe Curl Gloss Hydration & Hold Gel
The Oribe Curl Gloss Hydration & Hold Gel features the extracts of various flowers, plants, and fruits to promote hair health. The gel is made using aloe vera, Watermelon, Lychee, Edelweiss Flower extract, etc. Together, these ingredients ensure your permed hair is protected from dryness, looks glossy, and feels light so that curls can jiggle and bounce freely.
Leave-in Treatments After Permanent Waving
Leave-in treatments have proved to be game-changing in hair care and styling. As the name indicates, a leave-in treatment requires you to apply the product to your hair and forget that you applied it. Leave-in treatments after permanent waving can actually enhance the chances of making your waves or curls look natural and beautiful. And, the best part is, a majority of leave-in treatments are bio-friendly.
1. Ever Ego Nourishing Spa Quench Care Intensive Nutritive Leave-in Conditioner
The Ever Ego Nourishing Spa Quench Care Intensive Nutritive Leave-in Conditioner is a blessing of hair gods. The leave-in conditioner helps fix dry, frizzy, and chemically treated hair effectively. Moreover, once applied, it makes hair silky smooth and lets you comb it quickly, and its pleasant smell is beyond words.
2. Oribe Creme for Style
The Oribe Crème for Style simplifies maintaining perms and curls by providing your hair a flexible hold that lasts all day long. The Crème nourishes dry hair and gives them a definition that ameliorates the looks of your perms. Moreover, it also adds a pinch of softness and shines to dry and damaged hair.
Aftercare Recommendations for Permed Hair
- One of the best-permed hair aftercare practices includes using your fingers as a comb to adjust your curls after the initial 48 hours.
- Avoid swimming pools as much as you can because the chlorine in that water can loosen your perms.
- If you need to use heat-based styling tools, wait till washing your perms with shampoo for the first time.
- Don’t let your hair become dry; keep moisturizing them to prevent frizzy and chaotic perms.
1. Pantresse Professional Curl N Lock After Perm Shampoo
The Pantresse Professional Curl N Lock After Perm Shampoo works exceptionally and helps eliminate the perm odor ASAP. This best-quality shampoo also helps extend the lifespan of your perms using its curl locking formula. Moreover, it is made in the US and works effectively from the first wash.
2. Pureology Hydrate Conditioner
The Pureology Hydrate Conditioner is packed with a sulfate-free vegan formula that moisturizes hair, and it is considered one of the best conditioners. It features a mesmerizing scent of Lavender, Mint, Bergamot. Its ingredients like Jojoba, Green Tea, and Sage not only hydrates permed hair but also makes them softer. Moreover, it is ideal for all hair types.
3. The Original Mane n Tail Olive Oil Complex Herbal Gro Shampoo and Conditioner
The Original Mane ‘n Tail Olive Oil Complex – Herbal Gro Shampoo + Conditioner is one of the best shampoo + conditioners for permed hair. The duo helps reduce hair damage by nourishing hair with its unique formula. Moreover, the shampoo + conditioner is manufactured especially for chemically treated and damaged hair and helps them shine.
4. Arvazallia Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask
The Arvazallia Hydrating Argan Oil Hair Mask and Deep Conditioner is a gem for dry and damaged hair as it enhances hair texture. Its regular application will be highly beneficial in the long run as it aids in natural hair growth and makes hair soft and shiny. This one of the best hair masks is free from sulfate and parabens.
5. Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier by Tigi
The Catwalk Curls Rock Amplifier by TIGI is one of the best sprays your permed hair could get. The spray makes hair frizz-free and also adds volume to it. Additionally, the spray is non-sticky and holds the hair commendably. The spray is cream-based and helps define curls as well.
6. Royal Locks Party Curl Activating Spray
The Royal Locks-Party Curl Activating Spray is rich in argan oil and helps enhance curls and protects them from heat. The spray works best on wavy hair, and its new formula even adds an unmatched texture to your perms. Applying the spray to perms will moisturize hair and make hairstyling easy for you.
7. ALL HD PLEX Bond Treatment Application Italian Formula Kit for Bleaching
The All HD Plex bond treatment is a one-of-a-kind hair perm kit that helps fix damaged hair using its Italian formula. The kit works on damages caused by bleaching, coloring, and perming hair, reducing breakage by a staggering 98%. Moreover, the product lacks sulfates and parabens and is even cruelty-free.
8. Frizz Ease Hair Serum Original Formula
The Frizz-Ease Hair Serum Original Formula by Kao-John Frieda works well on damaged and curly hair. The serum moisturizes perms, prevents them from breaking, and keeps them in good condition. Thanks to its ginseng extracts, the serum works as a shield against heat.
Night Care is often ignored when maintaining and styling perms and curly hair. If you’re someone who forgets about their hair at night, well, your hair is at a high risk of damage. Ensure your hair stays healthy as you sleep and dream about becoming an Instagram sensation for your gorgeous perms. Avoid using rough pillows and replace them with silky ones. Moreover, you may also try to wrap your hair in a soft cloth as it’ll prevent friction from messing up your curls.
Tips to Maintain Permed Hair
- Experts suggest that after getting permed hair, they must be kept dry and unwashed for at least 48-72hrs.
- We suggest you not comb and touch your permed hair for the first 48 hours for the best results.
- Highlight or color your permed hair only in the third week to ensure it lasts long and prevents hair damage.
- Let your hair be free, and don’t tie them; otherwise, the perms might get out of shape.
- While perming, hair undergoes a lot of damage. It is advised to protect it from direct sunlight and UV rays.
- Keep your hair well-moisturized to ensure dryness doesn’t harm your permed hair.
- Stop and avoid washing your hair using shampoo frequently.
- Though perms ideally last up to six months, you can add to its lifespan by getting hair cuts frequently.
- Invest in premium and high-quality hair care products that suit your hair type to maintain your perms.
- Use hairstyling and hair care products like hairdryer, roller, leave-in conditioner, mousse, etc.
Getting permed hair may be overwhelming or demanding for some, but it all pays off when you get compliments for your bubbly hair. Using the best products for permed hair women can make life easier and your perms healthier. Be wise; think thoroughly before rushing to your stylist to get perms.