In the ever-evolving world of men’s grooming and style, one trend has made a remarkable comeback – the men’s perm. What was once synonymous with the wild and unruly locks of the 1980s has now resurfaced as a symbol of contemporary masculinity and self-expression. Men’s perms are no longer confined to retro nostalgia; they have evolved into a versatile and stylish option for those looking to add texture, volume, and personality to their hair. Whether you’re seeking the timeless charm of gentle waves or the bold statement of tight curls, this article is your gateway to discovering the art, science, and sheer confidence that come with sporting a men’s perm. Join us as we unravel the secrets of this resurgent trend, exploring the different styles, maintenance routines, and tips to help you rock your own men’s perm with panache.
- What is Perm Men?
- Types of Perm/Techniques of Perm
- Things to Think About Before Getting a Men’s Perm
- Before Doing Perm VS Care After Doing a Perm
- Main Types of Men’s Perms Include
- Different Styles of Perm Men
- Korean Perms for Men/Korean Male Perm Hairstyles
- Another Inspired Perm Hairstyle Man
- Examining the Perming Techniques: Pros and Cons
What Is Perm Men?
Men’s hair perms, as one might assume, share many similarities with the perms often associated with women. They involve a chemical process designed to transform the hair’s natural texture, coaxing it into curls for those with straight locks or taming it into straight or wavy styles for those already blessed with curls.
The magic of a men’s perm lies in its ability to restructure the bonds within your hair, replacing your natural curl pattern with a new, desired one. As these original bonds are gently dissolved, a canvas of possibilities unfolds before you, allowing you to shape your hair into a variety of styles, from retro pin-up girl curls to the relaxed charm of beachy waves. This transformative process breathes life into your hair, granting it a new personality while maintaining its natural beauty.
Types of Perm/Techniques of Perm
A “perm” is an abbreviation for “permanent waves,” a hair treatment process that can transform naturally straight or differently textured hair into a curly or wavy masterpiece. Unlike some hair treatments involving curlers, which may potentially harm your hair, perming is a gentle technique that prioritizes the health of your locks. There are various types of perms available, but among them, two methods are predominantly favored.
- Hot Perm: The hot perm method involves the application of an acidic solution to your hair, strategically breaking down the disulfide bonds within. Once the solution has done its magic, your hair is carefully wrapped around controlled rods and exposed to infrared heat. This controlled heat helps mold your hair into your desired shape and curl pattern, ensuring a long-lasting and fabulous result.
- Cold Perm: For those who prefer to avoid heat or have concerns about potential hair damage, the Cold Perm is a worthy alternative. This technique works by breaking the disulfide bonds using an alkaline solution containing Ammonium Thioglycolate. This solution subtly alters the protein structure of your hair, rendering it more pliable. Specially designed plastic rods are then used to shape your hair into curls. After the treatment, a neutralizing solution is applied to restore your hair’s pH balance and encourage the bonds to reset, leaving you with beautifully transformed locks.
In both hot and cold perms, the ultimate goal is to achieve stunning, lasting waves or curls while prioritizing the health and vitality of your hair.
Things to Think About Before Getting a Men’s Perm
- Hair Type: Perms are often most effective on hair that isn’t too thick or resistant to chemicals. Hair naturally straight or slightly wavy (like types 1A to 2A) tends to work well with perms.
- Hair Length: Short hair can be permed, but longer hair usually holds curls and texture better.
- Hair Thickness: Thick hair can result in more defined curls, while thinner hair may yield softer waves.
- Hair Density: Perms can potentially cause dryness and damage, which is a concern for people with thin hair. While perms can add volume, they may not be suitable for those with low-density hair. Your hairstylist can assess your hair and advise if a perm is a good choice.
Before Doing Perm VS Care After Doing a Perm
By following these steps and consulting with a professional, you can ensure that your hair is in the best possible condition for a successful perm experience. Remember that proper care and maintenance will help you enjoy your permed hairstyle for an extended period and keep your curls looking their best.
Main Types of Men’s Perms Include
1) Spiral Perm
Spiral perm hairstyles for men offer a captivating twist to traditional looks, with defined, cascading curls that exude charm and individuality. Explore the art of spirals to elevate your hairstyle game.
2) Body Wave Perm
Discover a bold transformation with the body wave perm hairstyle for men, adding texture and volume to your locks. Embrace effortlessly stylish waves that redefine your look.
3) Spot Perm
Sport the athletic edge with a dynamic sport perm hairstyle for men, combining rugged style with effortless curls that can take on any game.
4) Pin Curl Perm
The Pin Curl Perm for men is a timeless hairstyle that exudes vintage charm with its neatly arranged curls, offering a classic yet sophisticated look that’s making a stylish comeback. This retro-inspired style combines precision and panache, making it a top choice for those seeking a unique and dapper appearance.
5) Textured Perm
Textured perm hairstyles for men offer a unique fusion of rugged charm and contemporary style. These carefully crafted curls bring dimension and character to any look.
Different Styles of Perm Men
1) Digital Perm
Digital perms redefine men’s hairstyling with effortlessly natural waves and curls, offering a modern twist to traditional looks. Experience the fusion of precision and style in the world of digital perm hairstyles for men.
2) Ceramic Perm
Discover the sleek sophistication of the ceramic perm – a cutting-edge hairstyle for men that combines modern aesthetics with timeless charm. Embrace the fusion of technology and style for a look that’s as sharp as it is enduring.
3) Classic Perm
The classic perm hairstyle for men exudes timeless charm, with elegantly defined waves or curls that never go out of style. It’s a symbol of sophistication and enduring appeal
4) Twist Perm
The twist perm hairstyle for men brings a bold and unique twist to traditional curls, adding a dynamic and eye-catching dimension to your look. This style combines the charm of textured waves with a modern twist, making it an excellent choice for those seeking a distinct and stylish appearance.
5) Re-bonding Perm:
Re-bonding perm for men offers a sleek and polished aesthetic, transforming unruly hair into a smooth and refined style. This technique combines the best of both worlds, achieving the allure of curls with the sophistication of straight hair.
6) Loose Perm
The loose perm hairstyle for men combines a relaxed, natural look with subtle waves, offering a casually sophisticated and effortlessly stylish appearance. It’s a versatile choice that adds texture and volume without sacrificing ease of maintenance.
7) Short hair Perm
Short hair perms for men offer a bold twist on classic styles, infusing texture and charisma into every strand. Discover how this trend can redefine your look with confidence and flair.
8) Curly Perm
Curly perm hairstyles for men offer a bold and dynamic look that exudes confidence and individuality. From relaxed waves to tight curls, discover your perfect style transformation today.
9) Tight Curls
Tight curls offer a bold and striking hairstyle, adding dimension and personality to your look. With their eye-catching texture and bounce, they’re a statement of confidence and style.
10) Beachy Waves
The effortlessly chic hairstyle captures the essence of sun, sand, and sea, adding a touch of summer to any day.
Korean Perms for Men/Korean Male Perm Hairstyles
The Korean perm men’s hairstyle trend has taken the world by storm, but let’s debunk the myth that it results in poodle-like curls. Korean men’s perms offer a natural and highly flattering appearance, a far cry from the ramen noodle comparison. To provide you with a comprehensive understanding and assist you in achieving your desired look, we’ve curated this informative guide, complete with an array of hairstyle options and maintenance insights. It’s no surprise that Korean perm hairstyles are gaining popularity among men, given the diversity of styles available. Thanks to modern perm technology, you can enjoy textured, voluminous, and bouncy looks while maintaining that effortlessly natural vibe. Whether your preference leans toward the subtle or dramatic, these perm hairstyles will help you realize your style aspirations.
Some popular perm styles in Korean perms for men,
- Classy Korean Perm
- Curly Korean Perm With Undercut
- Korean Perm With a Middle Part
- Down Perm Korean Haircut
- Long Curly Korean Hair Perm
- Shaggy Asian Perm
Another Inspired Perm Hairstyle Man
1) Medium Hair Perm
Medium-permed hair for men strikes the perfect balance between texture and versatility, offering a confident, stylish look that’s easy to manage and customize to your liking. Discover the charm of well-defined curls and waves that elevate your hairstyle game.
2) Long Hair Perm
A long hair perm for men offers a captivating blend of masculine charm and dramatic flair, transforming ordinary locks into a cascade of stylish waves or curls. Embrace the allure of timeless elegance with this striking hairstyle choice.
3) Black Men Perm
Redefining Style with Curly Confidence. Discover the Ultimate Guide to Perm Hairstyles for Men of Color.
4) Thin Hair Perm
Transform thin locks into luscious waves with the magic of a Thin Hair Perm. Discover the confidence-boosting, voluminous styles that await.
1) Curly Hair with a Hard Part
Curly Hair with a Hard Part perm hairstyle for men combines the timeless appeal of curls with the sharp, modern edge of a hard part. It’s a blend of classic and contemporary, creating a distinctive and stylish look.
2) Curly Hair with a Fade
Curly hair with a fade is a dynamic fusion of texture and precision, blending the natural charm of curls with the sharp, clean lines of a fade haircut. It’s a style that exudes confidence and contemporary flair.
3) Curly Undercut
The curly undercut is a bold and stylish hairstyle that combines the sleekness of an undercut with the textured charm of natural curls. It’s a head-turning look that exudes confidence and personality.
4) Curly Pompadour
A fusion of classic sophistication and playful curls, this hairstyle exudes charisma and charm, making a bold statement with every twist and turn.
5) Curly Bowl Cut
The Curly Bowl Cut combines the playful charm of a classic bowl cut with the allure of curly locks, offering a trendy and unique hairstyle that’s both fun and stylish. This fusion of simplicity and texture adds a modern twist to a timeless classic.
6) Curly Bob
A timeless hairstyle that combines chic sophistication with playful curls, making a statement with every bounce and twist.
7) Long Curls with Texture
Long curls with texture exude effortless allure, combining the elegance of length with the playful charm of waves and curls. This versatile style captivates with its natural grace and movement.
1) Wavy Side Part:
The wavy side part is a timeless hairstyle that effortlessly combines sophistication with a touch of relaxed charm, making it a versatile choice for various occasions and hair types. Achieve a classic yet contemporary look with this stylish and adaptable hairstyle.
2) Wavy-Slicked Back:
The wavy-slicked-back hairstyle effortlessly combines sophistication with a touch of laid-back charm, making it a versatile choice for any occasion. Its textured waves add depth and dimension to a classic look, exuding both style and confidence
1) Short and Thick Wavy Hair:
Short and thick wavy hair boasts a natural vivacity, offering effortless texture and volume for a bold and stylish look. Embrace your waves with confidence and explore tailored styling options for a versatile and eye-catching appearance.
2) Short-Tight Curls:
Short tight curls exude charisma and personality, adding a playful yet sophisticated edge to your hairstyle. This bold, low-maintenance look is perfect for those who dare to stand out.
Examining the Perming Techniques: Pros and Cons
Perming techniques for men, like any hair treatment, have their pros and cons. Here’s a list of some of the advantages and disadvantages:
- Texture and Volume: Perms can add volume and texture to men’s hair, making it appear thicker and fuller.
- Low Maintenance: Permed hair often requires less daily styling and can have a more natural look without much effort.
- Versatility: Men can choose from various perm styles, from loose waves to tight curls, allowing for a personalized and unique look.
- Long-Lasting: Perms can last for several months, reducing the need for frequent salon visits.
- Damage: The chemicals used in perming can potentially damage the hair, leading to dryness and breakage.
- Maintenance: While permed hair is low maintenance in some ways, it may require specific care products to maintain its shape and health.
- Regrowth: As your hair grows, the roots may appear straight, creating an uneven look that requires touch-ups.
- Risk of Over-Processing: Over-processing can lead to overly tight curls or damage to the hair, making it crucial to find an experienced stylist.
- Expense: Perming can be relatively expensive, both in terms of the initial treatment and ongoing maintenance.
- Style Commitment: Once you get a perm, it’s not easy to revert to your natural hair texture without growing it out or cutting it off.
Before getting a perm, it’s essential to consult with a professional stylist to discuss your specific hair type, style preferences, and potential risks and benefits associated with the treatment.
How long does a men’s perm last for?
A men’s perm can last 4-6 weeks.
How much does a perm cost for guys?
The cost of a perm can vary based on factors like location, the type of perm, and hair length. A men’s perm can range from $50 to $200+.
Does a male perm damage your hair?
There is the potential for hair damage with a male perm, but it’s not an inherent consequence. Proper care, professional guidance, and high-quality products can help mitigate these risks and leave you with a stylish and healthy-looking outcome.
What does a perm do for guys?
A perm for men adds texture and volume to their hair, allowing for a variety of styles, from waves to tight curls. It’s a versatile option for those seeking a change in their hairstyle.
Latest posts by Cheryl Carter (see all)
- Korean Perm Hairstyles Male: Get the K-Pop Look - November 24, 2023
- Casual and Smart Casual: What’s the Difference? - November 16, 2023
- Men’s Perm: The Ultimate Guide to Men’s Perm Hairstyles - October 6, 2023