Underwear is one of the most crucial parts of any man’s wardrobe. You are going to wear your underwear almost every day 24×7. Therefore, it is very important to pick the right fabric that can help you feel highly comfortable as well as confident. The different underwear fabric materials available in the market would surely leave you in a dilemma. Moreover, different people may feel differently about the various materials, based on their skin sensitivity as well as climatic conditions. Therefore, it is very important to know the detailed properties of each underwear fabric before making the final decision. We can ensure you that once you go through the pros and cons of the different underwear fabrics mentioned below, picking the right underwear would become really easy for you.
Different Fabrics used for Men’s Underwear
Cotton is surely one of the most commonly used fabric materials for men’s underwear. Cotton has tiny pores that promote good ventilation and a comfortable feel. Also, the fabric is quite strong and provides good support.
- Suited for: summers, regular use; avoid wearing during workouts and in humid climatic conditions
- Pros: highly breathable, soft, budget-friendly, lightweight
- Cons: prone to shrinkage, not good at stretchability, does not handle moisture well
2. Combed Cotton
Comber cotton is actually much softer in feel and more lustrous than traditional cotton. The combed cotton fabric uses only longer strains of cotton which are straightened out for a better look as well as feel.
- Suited for: regular use, not recommended for use while exercising
- Pros: soft, durable, premium-looking, breathable, stain-resistant
- Cons: prone to shrinkage, expensive than traditional cotton underwear
Made of synthetic fiber, Spandex underwear are highly elastic, lightweight, as well as moisture resistant. Spandex underwear keeps a man’s genitals in place even while indulging in rigorous activities. Spandex underwear is tight-fitting and molds itself as per the shape and size of the wearer’s body and recommended for regular use.
- Suited for: exercising, running, swimming, during biking, to recover medical conditions
- Pros: sweat-resistant, lightweight, stain-resistant
- Cons: Not good for the environment, short life span, may induce allergies and infections
Nylon is one of the most commonly used materials for men’s briefs and boxers. The material is quite durable and retains its original color even after multiple washes. However, the material is quite stiff and can lead to allergies and rashes. It keeps your crotch area dry, however, it is still not recommended to be used while traveling in wet and moist places.
- Suited for: dry and non-humid climates, day-to-day wear, for regular workouts
- Pros: durable, easy to wash, budget-friendly
- Cons: not effectively breathable, might trap heat
Silk is actually quite soft and smooth, thus provides you with a luxurious feel down under. Silk underwear is shiny and comfortable for the wearer as well. However, silk is a bad conductor of heat and thus not at all recommended for warmer climates. Silk is a perfect pick for novelty underwear.
- Suited for: winters, special occasions
- Pros: lightweight, luxurious feel, soft-touch
- Cons: traps heat, highly delicate
Microfiber is made from synthetic fibers and allows maximum ventilation for the wearer. This material is quite stretchy and can fit comfortably to any type of body. The material is also highly supportive, thus, perfect to use for men’s underwear. However, microfiber is usually thicker than other underwear material, thus, not recommended for use with a tight-fitting bottom wear, which may produce visible lining.
- Suited for: athletes, regular use
- Pros: moisture-resistant, lightweight, durable, highly breathable, soft feel
- Cons: may induce allergies, manufacturing process not eco-friendly
Satin can be made with a number of artificial as well as natural fabric materials polyester, silk, and even cotton. Satin usually has a really smooth touch and glides over your body. However, the properties of satin underwear can actually vary a lot, based on the material that is used to weave the fabric.
- Suited for: special occasions
- Pros: luxurious look, soft feel
- Cons: highly expensive, properties may vary due to use of different materials
Organza is a blend of silk, polyester, and nylon. It is a sheer fabric, which is extremely lightweight and semi-translucent in nature. As it is highly elegant as well as delicate, it is not at all recommended for regular use and only should be used for special evenings.
- Suited for: special occasions
- Pros: lightweight, highly breathable, elegant looking, prevents pilling
- Cons: highly delicate, can be uncomfortable
Modal is considered to be one of the best materials to be used for men’s underwear. It is highly soft as well as sweat-resistant. It is also considered to be one of the best alternatives for silk in terms of its feel. The best part is that even after multiple washes, the material retains its original shape as well as properties.
- Suited for: summers, day-to-day use, hot and humid climate, easy wash
- Pros: shrink resistant, cool feel, highly absorbent, smooth, lightweight
- Cons: may induce allergies, not preferable for winters
See-through mesh underwear for men is quite sexy, supportive, as well as comfortable to wear. Moreover, mesh underwear is lightweight as well as offers high breathability. Mesh underwear is perfect for special nights and is becoming more and more popular.
- Suited for: summers, special occasions
- Pros: lightweight, highly breathable, luxurious looking
- Cons: not durable, expensive, stretches easily
Polyester is a synthetic material that is really thin and lightweight in nature. It also has the property for wicking away moisture easily, thus perfect for water-related activities. Moreover, polyester is quite strong and does not shrinks or stretches easily.
- Suited for: swimsuits, water activities, tight-fitting clothes
- Pros: lightweight, moisture-wicking, soft
- Cons: no breathability, harmful for nature
This fabric material has been used for men’s underwear for a long time now. It is soft in feel and is highly lightweight. It stretches naturally, therefore, is perfect for people who have physically active jobs. However, jersey underwear sticks to your skin, therefore can be uncomfortable sometimes.
- Suited for: sports activities, regular movements
- Pros: wrinkle-free, soft, moisture-wicking, good inbuilt flexibility
- Cons: not breathable, sensitive to heat, not durable
13. Lyocell Jersey
Lyocell Jersey is a combination of nanofibers and cotton. Apart from retaining all the properties of jersey underwear, Lyocell Jersey underwear is also moisture absorbent as well as much more breathable than traditional jersey underwear.
- Suited for: summers
- Pros: moisture absorbent, soft, lightweight
- Cons: not as flexible as traditional jersey, highly expensive
Acrylic is highly durable as well as strong fabric. It wicks moisture easily and is quick-drying in nature. Acrylic is considered to be an alternative to wool and resembles the feel and properties of the same.
- Suited for: special occasions, rigorous activities
- Pros: warm in nature, moisture resistant, lightweight, soft to touch
- Cons: flammable, may induce allergies and odor
Bamboo underwear is actually made of rayon which is extracted by treating bamboo fibers. Bamboo as a material is becoming more and more popular for men’s boxer briefs. Moreover, bamboo is actually very comfortable as well as nature friendly.
- Suited for: regular use
- Pros: soft, eco-friendly, quick-drying, hypoallergic
- Cons: highly expensive, strong smell during initial use
Factors to consider while picking an underwear Fabric:
- Comfort: Comfort is surely the most important factor that needs to be determined before finalizing your underwear fabric. Underwear are to be worn every day, all day long, therefore; it is very important to pick the right underwear based on the activity you are going to indulge in. Some of the fabrics trap heat, whereas; others are good at wicking moisture. Therefore, finalize the fabric material based on the climate as well as the activities that you are going to indulge in, to ensure good comfort. It is also very important for regular use underwear to be highly breathable, irrespective of the climate and weather.
- Stretch: The stretch factor is actually very important for good regular-use underwear in order to make it highly effective. You need your underwear to be highly flexible and move along with your body in order to prevent any kind of rashes or allergies. Prevent picking the fabric that does not offer any flexibility and is quite stiff.
- Longevity: If you are open to investing in good quality underwear that would allow you to feel highly comfortable and confident, it is very important to pick high-quality underwear that can last longer and retains its original properties even after multiple washes.
- Look: Not only the overall design but the fabric used for making the underwear also can actually completely transform its look. If you are looking for luxurious underwear for special occasions, it is very important to pick a fabric that provides you with the desired look.
- Feel: If underwear does not make you feel light as well as natural, you certainly do not wish to go for the same material even again. Good quality underwear must be soft to touch and glide smoothly along your skin. To check the feel of the underwear fabric, you can consider rubbing it on a sensitive skin area like your neck or chin.
- Weight: Underwear is obviously worn under various layers of clothing. Therefore, it is very important for the underwear material to be lightweight as well as thin. If you have a pair of thick or heavy underwear, it will definitely make you feel bulky as well as highly uncomfortable. Thick underwear also has a tendency of forming unnatural lining over your outer clothing.
If you have ever felt uncomfortable due to your underwear under any circumstances, you already must know the importance of picking the right underwear fabric. We hope that going through all the above-mentioned factors as well as different types of fabrics will help you a great deed in picking the right underwear for regular wear, as well as special occasions!