Diamond is a girl’s best friend.
Who likes a gloomy best friend? Nobody for sure. Then why should we compromise with a mundane, dirty, and lifeless diamond ring? A diamond ring is an asset for a lifetime and is probably one of the most precious materials we associate with.
Proper care and a scheduled cleaning regime can keep diamond rings forever sparkling and restore their shine. We have always yearned to see our diamond rings shine. So, here we are with a few tried and tested ways to clean your diamond rings at home. The article will show effective usage of products at home to retain the diamond ring’s shine
Guide to cleaning diamond rings in all metals; diamond, platinum, and gold.
How to Clean your Diamond Rings at Home
It is impossible to run to the jeweler every time you see a speck of dirt on your diamond ring. Instead, cleaning diamond rings can be less hectic if one can apply quick, easy, and effective hacks at home. The feeling of seeing your diamond rings shining at their best delivers deep satisfaction and an unadulterated form of happiness.
Find the source
First of all, one must understand the probable reasons for your diamond rings getting soiled. The very first cause is everyday usage. When somebody wears a diamond ring 24*7, there is a high probability that dirt, grease, the oil from lotions and moisturizers will adhere to the diamond ring. In such cases, cleaning becomes a mandate. Otherwise, it could adversely affect the health of both platinum and gold diamond rings.
The very first step to initiate cleaning is identifying the source. If it is only soap lather, lotion residues, and cooking debris, hairspray that has soiled your ring, then the cleaning process would follow a different pathway than the cleaning if the soiling material is something more dangerous like chemicals.
Here are some of the best-proven ways on how to clean your diamond engagement ring at home:-
Use a dishwashing liquid.
Dishwashing liquid is best for removing everyday debris from your diamond ring. Cleaning our diamond ring with a dishwashing liquid is an easy process, and it makes your diamond ring sparkling clean and restore its shine.
- Add a tablespoon of mild dishwashing liquid to a bowl of water and soak your ring for about an hour.
- Now take a soft brush with very soft and gentle bristles.
- Rub the crevices with this soft brush and remove the debris and dirt from the ring.
- You can specifically target the surface of the stone.
- Rinse in flowing water and wipe with a clean cloth.
Use non-abrasive gentle cleaners
Jewelry cleaners are available in the market, but it is essential to make the purchase diligently. Always choose the one that is gentle and has no exfoliating agents. If you are someone who regularly cleans the diamond ring, soap and water will suffice. However, stubborn and old blots of dirt may require a cleaning solution.
There are 2 ways of using jewellery cleaners-
With dishwashing liquid
In this method, you can add a capful or the recommended amount of jewelry cleaner into the dishwashing liquid and water solution. After soaking for about 15 to 20 minutes, follow the same steps as above.
Here you will need a microfibre cloth and a jewelry cleaner.
- Dab a few drops of jewelry cleaner on the microfibre cloth
- Slowly rub the cloth on the dirty spot
- Once the dirt disappears, use soap and water to cleanse the diamond ring thoroughly.
How to Clean a Platinum Diamond Ring at Home?
Platinum diamond rings are fragile, and we must handle them carefully while cleaning. However, the dirt removal processes are easy to follow and deliver outstanding results.
Usage of ammonia solution
Ammonia is effective in removing rigorous stains on the platinum. However, do not use the method if there are other gemstones apart from diamonds.
- Add equal parts of ammonia and water to a bowl.
- Put a squirt of dishwashing liquid into the bowl and mix thoroughly
- Place your platinum diamond ring for cleaning inside the bowl
- After 30 minutes, remove the ring from the bowl
- Always wear gloves before taking the ring out
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to scrub the ring gently
- Rinse it in flowing water
- Wipe with a microfibre cloth
- Let it air dry
How to clean gold diamond rings at home
Gold diamond rings are available in multiple colors. There is the traditional yellow color, but people also prefer rose and white gold diamond rings. Before cleaning your +gold diamond ring at home, it is essential to understand the type of gold lest you damage the metal.
How to Clean White, Rose Gold Rings with Diamond at Home
White gold jewelry has plating on the surface. You must never rub or scrub white gold jewelry as it is harmful to the jewelry surface as well as for the diamond-embellished in it. For cleaning white gold jewelry, use the mildest liquid detergent soap that is available. Using a soft cloth to clean and maintaining appropriate storage can ensure the long life and sparkle of white gold rings with diamonds.
Use vinegar and baking powder solution.
Vinegar and baking soda enhance the color of your white gold diamond ring and
- Add 1/2 cup white vinegar with 2 tablespoon baking soda and mix well
- Soak the diamond ring for at least 10 minutes
- Rinse well under tap water
- Use a microfibre cloth to remove excess water and let the ring dry in the air
- Later pack it carefully in a soft cloth and store well.
How to clean yellow gold Diamond rings at home
Use Windex with hydrogen peroxide
Grab some Windex, i.e., the window cleaner and hydrogen peroxide, to clean yellow gold diamond rings without scarring the metal. While Windex will remove all the stubborn dirt from your precious gold diamond ring, hydrogen peroxide sanitizes it.
- Pour Windex and hydrogen peroxide in the ratio of 1:1 into a bowl
- Soak your yellow gold diamond ring into the solution for 10 minutes
- Gently scrub with a light toothbrush
- Wash the ring in running water
- Wipe clean with a microfibre cloth and leave to air dry
How to clean diamond rings that have not been used for long?
If your profession or lifestyle introduces your diamond ring to a profound concentration of dirtying agents like oil or dirt, it calls for professional cleaning.
There are a few professional cleaning methods that are falsely circulated as at-home techniques to clean diamond rings. One such procedure is steam cleaning or ultrasonic cleaning. Both the modes can thoroughly clean encrusted diamond rings and bring them back to sparkle. However, it is recommended to trust a jewelry expert for these techniques and not try them at home.
How often should one clean the diamond rings?
The frequency of cleaning the diamond ring depends upon its usage.
If you regularly wear your beloved diamond ring, clean it with soap and dishwashing liquid once every week. Apart from regular cleaning, you can also opt for professional cleaning twice a year.
If the diamond ring is saved for wearing on special occasions, you can go easy on cleaning. Proper cleaning with a gentle cleanser once a month will be enough, and choosing professional cleaning once a year will increase the life of your diamond ring.
Secrets to keep diamonds shining for long
Diamond is the hardest natural substance. Yet, it needs utmost care to retain its sparkle. Even the toughest things need care and protection to ensure better quality.
If you have been long asking the question of how to restore the shine and sparkle of diamond rings for a long time, here are a few super secretes to keep diamonds shining for long:
- Always touch your diamond rings gently.
- Wrap the diamond rings in a soft linen cloth when not in use
- Schedule regular cleaning of the rings.
- Remove the ring while cleaning, washing, or cooking
- Always use a microfiber cloth to clean and wipe the diamond jewelry
- Handle the diamond ring with care and avoid it hitting on hard surfaces.
- Leave the usage of ultrasonic cleansers to the professionals.
- If the ring is severely soiled, you can visit any professional jewelry cleaner
- Refrain from the usage of harsh chemicals and bleaching agents for bringing an extra spark to the diamond. It severely deteriorates the quality and longevity of the diamond.
- If you have a precious diamond ring constantly at your fingers, then try to stay away from oil, grease, and other dirt as much as possible. Diamonds attract oil and grease naturally hence get soiled very fast.
Diamond rings are not only expensive but are attached to so many valuable memories in our life. Cleaning the diamond rings using the right ingredients and correct techniques can restore the brilliance and sparkle of the precious diamond ring and thus restore the health and durability of the ring. So, when are you starting your cleaning regime?