Bollywood is called the mecca of fashion and no matter what we all religiously follow the fashion trends from Bollywood. For decades Bollywood has been a sensational fashion and style inspiration and there are certain films that have created massive fashion trends, of which some are still followed. Be it college fashion or wedding, Bollywood films play a major role in every hardcore filmy person’s life. So reminiscing the Bollywood films that created fashion trends which made a huge impact on their fans.
1. Anarkali suits from Mughal-E-Azam
We are smitten by this trend and thanks to Mughal-e-Azam that brought the magical anarkali suits to life. Madhubala sported the royal Anarkali suit look in the film and looked nothing less than a classic diva. And since then Anarkali suits have been reserved for wedding, festivals and celebrations.
2. Bell Bottom Pants from Hare Rama Hare Krishna
It was Hare Rama Hare Krishna movie that made bell bottoms or flared pants way too popular in the 70s. It then became the major fashion staple of the youth. The trend went for decades and still you can see people fond of the fashionable bell bottom pants.
3. Figure Hugging Churidar from Waqt
It was the yesteryear actress Sadhana who started the trend of figure hugging churidar in the film Waqt. The look was big time popular in the 60s, especially in the younger generation. The success of figure hugging churidar made almost every actresses such as Asha Parekh, Mumtaz, Vyjayanthimala and many others try the look and flaunt their curvaceous figures.
4. Polka dots from Bobby
Back in the 70s the wasn’t much of skin show, but when Dimple Kapadia made an entry in sultry polka dots blouse and mini skirt, it became a rage. The fans across the nation loved the look and polka dots entered the mainstream fashion. It gives a complete retro vibe and still is in trend.
5. Mumtaz Sari from Brahmachari
In the film Brahmchari, Mumtaz transformed the saree and brought it to a whole new level. The iconic new style of draping saree in “Aaj kal tere mere naam” song became a sensational hit and the girls back then were and till date are totally in love with it. The saree easily flaunted the curves and created a mark in the fashion industry. Various actresses such as Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone, Kangana Ranaut have been seen donning this style in elan.
6. Shimmer Gowns from Shaan
Remember the song “Pyaar karne wale” from Shaan? Parveen Babi had created a magical moment by donning the shimmery sequined gown that became an instant hit. The deep plunging neckline, long flowing gowns defined Parveen Babi’s personality and became a huge fashion trend in high end parties, discos.
7. Chiffon Saree from Mr. India
In the 80s the trend of chiffon saree was at peak and the credit goes to Sridevi, who flaunted her sensual curves in a blue chiffon saree for the song “Kaate nahi katte” from the film Mr.India. She brought an oomph factor in the plain saree and the whole nation went gaga over her glamorous style. The plain saree trend is still popular in the Bollywood and you can see them in all romantic films of Karan Johar, Aditya Chopra.
8. Denim shirt from Rangeela
Urmila became an inspiration for the 90s college going girls. She brought the trend of denim shirt that gave sporty vibes and could be paired with colored pants, denim, skirts. Denim shirts are still popular and a big hit among the younger crowd.
9. Bright Punjabi Salwar Suit from Bunty Aur Babli
Rani Mukherjee began the pop of bright shades Punjabi suits that became a favorite of every fashion faithful girl. The collared kurti, patiala pants was loved and sported by many fashion conscious girls at wedding, parties and festivals.
10. Palazzo Pants from Cocktail
Deepika Padukone showed her chic, fashionable end in the film Cocktail and brought back the palazzo pants trend that became the talk of the town. Floral printed, Aztec printed palazzo pants were super popular and is now every girl’s favorite outfit.
11. T-shirt and Patiala Salwar from Jab We Met
Apart from Bebo’s stellar performance it was Kareena’s stunning fashion sense that grabbed attention of all. The trend of teaming t-shirt with patiala pants became the most liked wearing of that time and was appreciated by the college going girls.
These were the inspiring looks from the Bollywood, we hope you felt nostalgic reading the post.
- Go Fashionably Retro With Rustom – Bringing back the 1950
- 6 Fashion Trends that actually hail from Punjab
- 7 Reasons Why Cotton Kurtis will remain evergreen on Trend
- 8 Hot Pant Trends For Women
- 10 Ripped Jeans Style trends created by Celebrities
- Trendy unseen Navratri Chaniya Choli Designs from Local stores
- 14 Latest Diwali trendy Outfits for your little Girl
- Lakme Fashion Week 2016: All New Trends Revealed
- Hot Trends for this Summer predicted by Indian Fashion Bloggers
Latest posts by Jessika Perkins (see all)
- 51 Types & Names of Socks for Men and Women - May 4, 2021
- 34 Brilliant Jeans Hacks & Tricks to make your life easier - December 6, 2019
- 10 Best Brands for Men’s Thermals to Stay warm when it’s cold out - December 2, 2019